Friday, September 18, 2009

Day 22 - PM -- on my own in a wheelchair


The Friday reunion started out as a tailgate party -- not ideal for gliding (kneeling scooter) or balancing (crutches) -- so I asked Bob to drop me off at nearby Santana Row shopping center -- (pretty crafty, huh?)  Of course, I had credit cards and my IPhone -- just in case.  Au revoir, mon amour -- enjoy your reunion and I'll see you in a few hours.

I thought this was a perfect opportunity to see how "wheelchair accessible" this mall really was.   I explored the disabled restroom in the Hotel Valencia (great except the entrance door was heavy to open -- need lots of upper body strength), got a smoothie at Pinkberry (same problem with the entrance door), elevated my foot on the retaining wall for an hour or so (see photo), went to Borders (self-opening door -- thank goodness) and selected a perfectly accessible copy of "The Lost Symbol" (Dan Brown's new book).   The doors of several of the shops were closed, with no automatic opener -- definitely not disabled-friendly.  



This is a beautiful open-air mall (SJ's answer to Rodeo Drive) and they did a good job of eliminating as many curbs as possible.  I can't imagine what it was like before wheelchair-accessible ramps were installed.  I held my breath at the first intersection, but, then, I guess drivers are pretty careful around people with a bright white cast (with blue toenails) wheeling themselves around.  People were friendly -- even stopped the crowds so I could cross the sidewalk.  


I'm going to have Madonna-shoulders before this is done.



2 comments:

  1. Three months? Then I'll be sure to follow your blue-toe blog. How hard is it to paint those toenails?
    Take care of yourself, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it interesting how many places really aren't all that accessible? I dated a guy in a wheelchair and it was pretty eye opening!

    Love the blog BTW! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete