Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Day 13 - New cast

The huge plaster cast and stitches were removed today.  Oh, how I hate having a cast removed...the loud whine of the saw, only millimeters from your skin, one slip and it burns -- well, at least that's the way it was when I was a kid.  No more, they tell me.  A gauze is applied next to the skin.  If the saw happens to get that close, it would get tangled with the gauze -- an automatic shut-off.  I don't believe them.


Foot looks great (better than before?), incision healed already!  New cast is fiberglass -- much lighter weight -- with a little "window" for a bone stimulator.  Because I've already had a triple arthrodesis, there is some concern of non-fusion.  The bone stimulator uses ultrasound to stimulate circulate and enhance healing.


We stopped at The Presidio for lunch -- my first (shaky) expedition on crutches.



No comments:

Post a Comment