Thursday, October 1, 2009

Day 35 -- Trip to the doctor and X-rays



I've been waiting for this day.  The big question:  are the bones fusing?  After using a bone stimulator 2x/day, eating well, taking vitamin supplements, and pretty much doing nothing exotic, I certainly hope so.  


The first step at the doctor's office was to remove the cast.  If you remember from a prior posting, the high whine of the saw 2 mm from my skin does not bring back happy childhood memories.  Of course, I had to ask Luz, the technician who wields the saw, if there was such a thing as a silent saw -- since it's the high pitch that I'm reacting to (not to mention the burns I experienced 50 years ago when they got a little too close).  There is, she said!   But, of course, this one does a better job and is less expensive...


After we got past the cast removal, it was downhill from there.  Foot looks great.  The radiologist had me step on it for the X-rays -- the muscles and tendons have stiffened up over the past 5 weeks -- but the good news is that the X-rays show that the bones are fusing well.  The doctor is delighted with my progress and I've graduated from a cast to a "boot" which can be removed for bathing and sleeping -- still non-weightbearing for at least another month.  


The care I've received at UCSF is nothing short of first class.


Here are a few photos --
#1 -- cast being removed (note the saw -- imagine it 2 mm from your skin...),
#2 -- foot -- can hardly see the incision
#3 -- Luz (wielder of the saw -- great job)
#4 -- Photo of Physician Assistant, X-ray of my foot (see 3 screws), and Doctor)
#5 -- New boot.











1 comment:

  1. LOVE the new boot! Totally fashionable! So glad to hear everything is going smoothly and you are healing nicely! Wish I could be there with you and your traveling blue toes!

    ReplyDelete